Re: [pgAdmin III] #148: Miscellaneous requests for the query tool

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: "Dickson S(dot) Guedes" <listas(at)guedesoft(dot)net>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [pgAdmin III] #148: Miscellaneous requests for the query tool
Date: 2010-03-20 15:32:39
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Le 20/03/2010 05:14, Dickson S. Guedes a écrit :
> 2010/3/15 pgAdmin Trac <trac(at)code(dot)pgadmin(dot)org>:
>> #148: Miscellaneous requests for the query tool
>> allow the user defines the max size of the query that could be added in history,
>
> Done, default to 100.
>
>> the total number of queries stored
>
> Done, default to 10.
>
>> avoid store itentical queries.
>
> Done, but at now it avoids only identical queries. If we run the same
> query only changing some spaces or tabs it'll allow the inclusion of
> the query in the history. I don't know if this "duplication" may be
> accepted as a "expected behaviour" or a bug.
>
>> ask for query deletion
>
> Done, using 'NO' as default.
>
> This patch fixes the 'SetMacrosFile' in sysSettings.h, too.
>
> Patch attached. Comments?

Applies and compiles with no issue. Anyways there are a few things that
I don't like.

When the combobox contains the maximum number of queries, it should
delete the older one and record the new one whereas now it simply
doesn't do anything.

What happens when pgAdmin loads a queries file with more than the
maximum number of queries in it? AFAICT, it loads everything. I think it
shouldn't. It should only load the X last one (X being the maximum
number of queries).

I don't think the default maximum query size is sane. 100 characters are
really not enough. At least 1024 (much like track_activity_query_size).
By the way, I also don't think we should talk in bytes. It's a number of
characters.

I think that's all for me. Can you send us an updated patch?

Thanks a lot.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org