Re: Lock Wait Statistics (next commitfest)

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, gokul007(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: Lock Wait Statistics (next commitfest)
Date: 2010-02-27 18:17:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> Greg Smith wrote:
>> Returned with feedback in October after receiving a lot of review, no
>> updated version submitted since then:
>>
>> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/patch_view?id=98
>>

> Hmm - I would say a bit of review rather than a lot :-)

It looks like you got useful feedback from at least three people, and
people were regularly looking at your patch in some form for about three
months. That's a lot of review. In many other open-source projects,
your first patch would have been rejected after a quick look as
unsuitable and that would have been the end of things for you. I feel
lucky every time I get a volunteer to spend time reading my work and
suggesting how it could be better; your message here doesn't seem to
share that perspective.

> I'd also like to take the opportunity to express a little frustration
> about the commitfest business - really all I wanted was the patch
> *reviewed* as WIP - it seemed that in order to do that I needed to
> enter it into the various commitfests... then I was faced with
> comments to the effect that it was not ready for commit so should not
> have been entered into a commifest at all... sigh, a bit of an
> enthusiasm killer I'm afraid...

To lower your frustration level next time, make sure to label the e-mail
and the entry on the CommitFest app with the magic abbreviation "WIP"
and this shouldn't be so much of an issue. The assumption for patches
is that someone submitted them as commit candidates, and therefore they
should be reviewed to that standard, unless clearly labeled otherwise.
You briefly disclaimed yours as not being in that category in the
initial text of your first message, but it was easy to miss that,
particularly once it had been >8 months from when that messages showed
up and it was still being discussed.

If you wanted to pick this back up again, I'd think that a look at
what's been happening with the lock_timeout GUC patch would be
informative--I'd think that has some overlap with the sort of thing you
were trying to do.

FYI, I thought your patch was useful, but didn't spent time on it
because it's not ambitious enough. I would like to see statistics on a
lot more types of waiting than just locks, and keep trying to find time
to think about that big problem rather than worrying about the
individual pieces of it.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us