Re: pg_stop_backup does not complete

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_stop_backup does not complete
Date: 2010-02-24 01:46:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2/23/10 10:58 AM, Simon Riggs wrote:
> So I don't see this as something that needs fixing for 9.0. There is
> already too much non-essential code there, all of which needs to be
> tested. I don't think adding in new corner cases to "help" people makes
> any sense until we have automated testing that allows us to rerun the
> regression tests to check all this stuff still works.

So, you're going to personally field the roughly 10,000 bug reports we
get on pgsql-general about this behaviour? 24/7?

The fact that we ran into this issue on the *first* day of testing the
new alpha4 is indicative of how common it will be -- it is not a corner
case, it is a common setup error which will affect probably 20% of new
users who try 9.0. And new users are going to panic when they can't
shut down postgresql, not just test for issues.

Any situation where postgresql cannot be safely shut down because of a
common setup mistake (typoing an archive_command) is, IMNSHO, not
something we can release with.

--Josh Berkus