Re: Problem with 8.4 stats collector high load

From: Jakub Ouhrabka <jakub(dot)ouhrabka(at)comgate(dot)cz>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Jakub Ouhrabka <kuba(at)comgate(dot)cz>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with 8.4 stats collector high load
Date: 2010-02-16 17:51:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Maybe you should decrease naptime a bit.

That did the trick, thanks!

> Yes. There were some changes that needed to be done to autovacuum so
> that it didn't read the stats file too often, but I don't recall if I
> got around to it.

I looked at the strace output and there are *writes* to the file not
reads. Why? Is it a consequence of this optimization?

Release notes 8.4:

Reduce I/O load of writing the statistics collection file by writing the
file only when requested (Martin Pihlak)

Was autovacuum requesting to write this 20MB file 650x per minute?

Anyway, thank you all for the quick answer and precise answers.
PostgreSQL is really unique in this regard!

Kuba