[GENERAL] libecpg versions and libecpg_compat

From: Rob Newton <robn(at)mirrabooka(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: [GENERAL] libecpg versions and libecpg_compat
Date: 2010-02-15 23:44:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Hackers,
I posted this to the GENERAL list a while back, but got no repies.
Perhaps someone here can help...

I've been building ECPG (embedded SQL/C) programs on a system with
Pg version 8.0 installed. When I tried to run them recently on
version 8.4 I found that there was a libecpg library
incompatibility: v8.0 uses libecpg.so.5, whereas 8.4 uses libecpg.so.6.

Then I noticed libecpg_compat in the lib area. What is this used
for? "compat" suggests compatibility between different versions?
But Pg 8.0 has libecpg_compat.so.2, whereas Pg 8.4 has
libecpg_compat.so.3.

Is there some way of building with Pg v8.0 ECPG lib and running on a
system with Pg v8.4 ECPG lib? or vice versa? and is libecpg_compat
intended for that purpose?

Thanks,
Rob