Re: Parameter name standby_mode

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Parameter name standby_mode
Date: 2010-02-10 11:16:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joachim Wieland wrote:
> We want to teach people that Hot Standby and Streaming Replication are
> two different features.

I'm not sure about that, actually. Now that they're both in the tree,
they work nicely together and many users will think of them as one.

> However, Streaming Replication calls its main
> parameter "standby_mode" which reminds more of Hot Standby than of
> Streaming Replication.
>
> People could also run a warm standby without streaming replication,
> which would result in a standby that has standby_mode = 'off'.

If they want to implement the warm standby using the (new) built-in
logic to keep retrying restore_command, they would set
standby_mode='on'. standby_mode='on' doesn't imply streaming replication.

If you want to use pg_standby or similar tools, then you would indeed
set standby_mode='off', but I think that makes sense because you're
implementing the standby functionality outside the server in that case.

--
Heikki Linnakangas