About psycopg2 (by its author)

From: Federico Di Gregorio <fog(at)initd(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: About psycopg2 (by its author)
Date: 2010-02-09 13:56:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

First of all let me say that from such incredible hackers as the
PostgreSQL people I'd have expected the ability to find my email address
and maybe keep me or (even better) the psycopg mailing list in CC. That
would have avoided a lot of confusion both on the license and the status
of psycopg2. If you don't feel too offended by reading this incipit then
we're ready to go on and try ot have a useful discussion (oh, yes, I can
read and write basic english so I won't need any translator.) Btw, I was
at FOSDEM as probably other PostgreSQL people were and all this could
have been discussed while drinking a couple of beers if only someone
cared to contact me.

First point, the license. It started as GPL2+ and sort of grow off of
various comments and user needs. I agree that some of the reasons for
such a complex license don't exist anymore and we're ready for a change.
Note that I strongly don't want a final user to receive a closed,
proprietary version of psycopg2 without the ability to switch (if she
wants) to the "official" version released as free software. But I also
understand that lots of people just want to keep their software
proprietary (the current license already allows that). So the logical
choice is plain LGPL3. I am open to motivated suggestions about other
licenses but I'll ignore such crap as "BSD is more open than LGPL".

Second point, the technical discussion about psycopg2 features and bugs.
We have a mailing list, so please subscribe to it and write there any
comments or requests about the code. The list is alive and nobody ever
complained to not have received an answer.

Finally, I am really happy that after years during which psycopg2 was
used in a lot of projects by a lot of different users eventually the
PostgreSQL people noted it. ;)

Have fun,
federico

--
Federico Di Gregorio <mailto:fog(at)initd(dot)org> <jid:fog(at)jabber(dot)linux(dot)it>
DISCLAIMER. If I receive a message from you, you are agreeing that: