Re: Confusion over Python drivers

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Marko Kreen <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tim Bunce <Tim(dot)Bunce(at)pobox(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Confusion over Python drivers
Date: 2010-02-07 19:50:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> I'm not a Python user myself, but I have trouble understanding how you
>> can describe bugs in one of the Python drivers as off-topic to the
>> Python driver situation.
>
> I thought the topic was "Confusion over Python drivers"?
>
> The only bug there was likely app one, or at least its not widespread
> so off-topic. Rest are more like non-essential cool features,
> so again off-topic.

Not at all, except that maybe this discussion belongs on -advocacy
rather than here. Driver quality is partly performance and stability,
but also partly what features it implements and how well it implements
them. *particularly* for PostgreSQL, which is a database with lots of
cool features; if the driver doesn't support our cool features, then
they don't matter to Python developers.

Anyway, I don't yet have a full diagnosis on the transaction control
issue or I'd already have posted it to psycopg -- it may be a toxic
interaction between Django and Psycopg2 rather than psycopg2 alone. I'd
not have brought it up except for this discussion.

--Josh Berkus