Re: BUG #5301: difference of behaviour between 8.3 and 8.4 on IS NULL with sub rows of nulls

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Jehan-Guillaume (ioguix) de Rorthais" <ioguix(at)free(dot)fr>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5301: difference of behaviour between 8.3 and 8.4 on IS NULL with sub rows of nulls
Date: 2010-01-29 19:53:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Jehan-Guillaume (ioguix) de Rorthais" <ioguix(at)free(dot)fr> wrote:

> and here is another test case where 8.3 is inconsistent with
> *himself* this time:

Sounds like an argument that the behavior *should* have changed in
8.4. We don't like to introduce behavioral changes which might
break something in a minor release, so I doubt we'd change that in
8.3; but on a major release like 8.4, this sort of fix is fair game.

So you found broken behavior in 8.3 which we can't fix without
risking breaking users' applications, and a fix implemented in 8.4
when such risk is acceptable?

Is there something else?

-Kevin