Re: Hot Standby: Relation-specific deferred conflict resolution

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Hot Standby: Relation-specific deferred conflict resolution
Date: 2010-01-29 06:26:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
> Conflict resolution improvements are important to include in this
> release, as discussed many times. Proposal given here
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2009-12/msg01175.php
> presents a viable design to improve this.
>
> Following patch is a complete working implementation of that design.
> I'm still testing it, but its worth publishing as early as possible to
> allow discussion. Not for commit, just yet, but soon.

Um, you're not considering this for 9.0, are you? I think it's time to
concentrate on the must-fix issues and fix the rough edges in what we have.

For example, the "can't start hot standby mode from a shutdown
checkpoint" issue is a must-fix issue in my opinion, about 10x as
important as this. When that was last discussed, many others agreed. I
run into that all the time when testing streaming replication, and every
time I go "Huh, why isn't the standby opening up for connections?", and
then, "Ahh, it's this stupid shutdown checkpoint issue again".

And the VACUUM FULL issue is still hanging too. And maybe you could help
with some other things on the open items or commitfest list.

--
Heikki Linnakangas