Re: Wanted: new project slogan

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wanted: new project slogan
Date: 2010-01-26 19:45:38
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

> Nobody has ever raised any issues with our slogan before, though...

They have, actually. Particularly professional marketing types, who
*do* have some experience when it comes to slogans.

(josh waits for Rob Napier to speak up)

And it's possible we won't change it just because we can't come up with
a better one.

>> (1) "most advanced" suggests that PostgreSQL is complex and
>> unapproachable by non-DB-experts. It doesn't exactly encourage Drupal
>> and Wordpress geeks to give us a try, and as a result some potential PG
>> users are turning to CouchDB and MongoDB.
>
> Because we have "advanced" in our slogan?! Seems unlikely.

Actually, I heard this from a couple of Drupal folks at LCA just last
week. And *in general* Postgres now has the image of being
high-performance, powerful, big, and very, very complex. This is one of
the reasons non-relational DBs are getting so many new users.

Obviously, HOWTOs, tutorial, videos, and simple admin tools will go
further towards driving adoption. But I think we need work on our image
as well.

> PostgreSQL: Unpronounceably awesome!

Hah!

--Josh