Re: Streaming replication, loose ends

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Streaming replication, loose ends
Date: 2010-01-15 17:29:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> I've now committed streaming replication. I moved the files around a
>> bit, and put the walreceiver/walsender stuff in a new
>> src/backend/replication subdirectory. There's enough stuff there already
>> to deserve a new subdirectory, and if we add the capability for
>> streaming base backups etc. that has been discussed, we will have more
>> code in there.
>>
>> But it's not time to party yet. There's still a few loose ends we need
>> to address:
>>
>> Documentation. The patch originally moved around some sections, but I
>> didn't include that in the committed version, to make it clear in the
>> diff what exactly was added/changed. But I do agree with the original
>> thought of adding a new "Replication" chapter, and moving all the
>> replication and standby related stuff there from the "Backup and
>> Restore" chapter, so let's start working on that.
>
> Uh, do we really want to call this "replication" rather than archive log
> streaming or something. It seems "replication" is a generic term and
> will confuse people who are using other replication solutions like
> Slony.

Good question. OTOH, if we move the sections about setting up a
file-shipping based standby with pg_standby, that's not streaming.

What we have now is:

Server Administration
Backup and Restore
SQL Dump
File System Level Backup
Continuous Archiving and Point-In-Time Recovery (PITR)
Warm Standby Servers for High Availability
Planning
Implementation
Failover
Record-based Log Shipping
Streaming Replication
Incrementally Updated Backups
Hot Standby
User's Overview
Handling query conflicts
Administrator's Overview
Hot Standby Parameter Reference
Caveats
High Availability, Load Balancing, and Replication

I propose:

Server Administration
Backup and Restore
SQL Dump
File System Level Backup
Continuous Archiving and Point-In-Time Recovery (PITR)
High Availability, Load Balancing, and Replication
Introduction
Comparison of different solutions (*)
File-based Log Shipping
Planning
Implementation
Streaming Replication
Setting up
Failover
Hot Standby
User's Overview
Handling query conflicts
Administrator's Overview
Hot Standby Parameter Reference
Caveats
Incrementally Updated Backups

(*) Current content of "High Availability, Load Balancing, and
Replication" chapter goes here

Note that I propose to remove "Record-based Log Shipping" section
altogether. We can briefly mention that method under Streaming
Replication, but I consider that obsolete with streaming replication.

--
Heikki Linnakangas