Re: C# w/ ODBC, 2.1 million list select gives empty DataSet

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Laurent Chouinard <laurent(dot)chouinard(at)sem(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: C# w/ ODBC, 2.1 million list select gives empty DataSet
Date: 2010-01-13 04:41:47
Lists: pgsql-odbc

On 12/01/2010 7:34 AM, Laurent Chouinard wrote:

> With the new drivers, it still climbs to 700MB or so (makes sense, 2
> million rows is quite a bit), and then after the "0 rows" returned,
> memory is cleared immediately. Makes sense as well, OBDC doesn't carry
> data anymore, dataset is almost null, garbage collector is having a
> field day.

I don't use ODBC much personally and don't work on the driver - but it
sounds to me a lot like the new driver may be running out of memory too,
but is eating the failure (or reporting it via some side-channel) rather
than throwing. If it is, that'd be pretty bad behavior in my personal
opinion, but then I don't know ODBC well. Someone who does may be able
to shed some more light.

My suggestion, though: Even if you resolve this now, as things continue
to grow you're still going to have OOM issues. Perhaps it'd be a good
idea to use a cursor for this?

--
Craig Ringer