One question on the Restore window

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: One question on the Restore window
Date: 2009-12-20 22:22:47
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi,

I worked today on the restore window. I added all the missing options
(with a release check for some of them), and I added sizers to have a
good UI. You can see the result in the screenshots attached (from
frmRestore_1.png to frmRestore_3.png).

I have some problems with the UI of the backup TOC. I want to allow
users to restore only some selected objects of the backup. Right now,
the restore window allows only to restore one object, even if you
selected more than one. So I try to find a good UI for this. I see two
ways for doing it:

* Keep the list, adding checkbox (see frmRestore_5.png).
* Replace the list with a tree (see frmRestore_4.png).

The tree is more appealing, really simple to understand. Anyone who used
the backup window can use the restore window... Well, not really. If a
user wants to restore some tables but not the schema, he needs to
unselect the schema, and then to select the tables. It feels a bit
awkward to see the schema not selected when some of its own tables are.
Moreover, the list is really simpler to remember the order of the
objects (the tree kind of destroys the order). But this is not really
important. I'm much more bothered with the fact that we can have some
tables selected and that the schema they belong to is not.

Any better ideas? Comments?

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org