Re: [CORE] EOL for 7.4?

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-core(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [CORE] EOL for 7.4?
Date: 2009-12-01 21:21:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> Personally I'll still be on the hook for maintaining 8.1 in RHEL5
> so I'd be just as happy to keep it alive a bit longer, but if the
> community doesn't want to deal with it that makes perfect sense.

Some people consider the extended support and easy upgrades of the RHEL5
versions valuable enough that they have a strong preference to use the
version of PostgreSQL that ships with it. Right now, when such people
ask me about using 8.1 in that context, I tell them while it would be
better if they ran something more recent, the performance of that
version is reasonable and the bugs they might run into aren't that
serious. This is not the case at all for either 7.4 or 8.0, which have
been completely indefensible as versions to consider deploying for quite
some time already.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.com