Re: new elephant color

From: damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Guido Barosio <gbarosio(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: new elephant color
Date: 2009-11-18 15:21:24
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Marc G. Fournier a écrit :
> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 17:01 -0800, Guido Barosio wrote:
>>> I was wondering about the chances to democratically elect a new color
>>> for our Elephant.
>>
>> I can't believe you just did that ;)
>
> I'm curious as to what the justification for such a dramatic change
> would be ... does the blue offend someone, somewhere? *Why* would we
> change it?

Perhaps because the large majority of corporate logo are blue. In
western country, that colour is associated with knowledge, power,
integrity, and seriousness. Altough these adjectives suit perfectly well
to PostgreSQL, i still think that blue is the sign of a terrible lack of
creativity and audacity. Two qualities of this project that we should
advertise more, imho.

Here's a picture of "The battle for blue" :
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/29/56867986_29aa1a3973_o.jpg

Anyway if we go down this road, why not getting rid of that elephant
head ? Picking an animal as a logo is very childish and uninventive,
even if the Open-Source world has a long history of stereotyped animal
mascots ( at least ubuntu is trying new species )

Most of all, blue elephant is probably one of the most common logo in
the world : PHP, the GOP, Carlsberg, etc. In France, we even have a
nation-wide carwash company called "Éléphant Bleu".

With all respect due to designer of the current PG logo, what i think
when i see it is : « Ten years ago, a bunch of database geeks we asked
for a logo, but they didn't have time for such futile work so they took
a blue elephant ». I'm not saying that's what happen, but it's what it
looks like.

In a nutshell, this blue elephant says "We suck at marketing" :D

If there's any chance of changing things, i'm volunteer to join a group
that would try propose new a design and color palette.