Re: [Newbie] UPDATE based on other table content

From: Daniel Chiaramello <daniel(dot)chiaramello(at)golog(dot)net>
To: Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Newbie] UPDATE based on other table content
Date: 2009-10-29 16:31:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Thom Brown a écrit :

> 2009/10/29 Daniel Chiaramello <daniel(dot)chiaramello(at)golog(dot)net>:
>
>> Never mind, I found how finally:
>>
>> UPDATE
>> product
>> SET
>> qty = qty+s_count
>> FROM (
>> SELECT
>> intermediate.product_id,
>> count(*) AS s_count
>> FROM
>> intermediate,
>> orders
>> WHERE
>> orders.intermediate_id=intermediate.id
>> GROUP BY
>> intermediate.product_id
>> ) AS summary
>> WHERE
>> summary.product_id = product.id
>> ;
>>
>> Sorry for disturbance!
>> Daniel
>>

> Your solution looks like it would perform a cumulative calculation.
> Surely you'd want qty = s_count?
>
> In any case, wouldn't you be better off not having a quantity column
> at all and just calculate it with either a query or a view?
>
> Example:
>
> SELECT product.id, COUNT(intermediate.product_id)
> FROM product
> LEFT JOIN intermediate ON product.id = intermediate.product_id
> GROUP BY product.id
> ORDER BY product.id
>
> Or include a product name in the product table to get more meaningful
> output. You'd then get an output like:
>
> id name count
> 1 Orange 5
> 2 Apples 7
> 3 Pears 2
> 4 Kiwi 0
>
> If you don't want ones for which there have been no orders for (or
> whatever your intermediate table is for), use an INNER JOIN instead.
>
> Regards
>
> Thom

Thanks for anwer, but no, it's really adding the number of entries to my
"qty" field. The "orders" table is a transient one and is cleaned regularly.
Of course, the example I gave is a simplified one (there are no orders
or products, I chose these names to ease the understanding of my
problem) - in reality, the problem is much complicated than that :)

But thanks for answer anyways.

Daniel