Re: Daylight Saving Time

From: <Match(dot)Grun(at)thomson(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Daylight Saving Time
Date: 2007-01-30 23:58:34
Lists: pgsql-ports

See below.

->-----Original Message-----
->From: Magnus Hagander [mailto:magnus(at)hagander(dot)net]
->Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2007 3:05 PM
->To: Grun, Match (TH USA)
->Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org; bruce(at)momjian(dot)us
->Subject: Re: [PORTS] Daylight Saving Time
->
->On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 02:21:21PM -0700,
->Match(dot)Grun(at)thomson(dot)com wrote:
->> As you may know, DST in the US has been changed from 2007.
->On March 11
->> we begin DST.
->>
->> I have searched the Postgres site, but there is no reference to
->> potential issues that may be caused by this. Also, since
->the Solaris
->> port built with the Sun Compiler did have an issue with a Horology
->> test case, maybe the PORTS team have most experience with
->this issue?
->
->I beleive you are safe as long as you are on the latest
->versoins - you'll need 8.2.1, 8.1.6 or 8.0.10.
->

We are using 8.0.3 so will we be affected.

->Bruce - given that the actual change-time is coming up, how
->about we add this one to the FAQ? If it isn't now, it's bound
->to become.
->
->
->> Does anyone know how this would affect the following ports:
->>
->> Sun GCC
->> Windows MINGW
->> Linux GCC
->
->All affected the same way.
->If you're using a < 8.0 version, postgresql uses the
->operating systems timezone functions, so you'll have to look
->at the documentation for your OS.
->

So 8.0.3 > 8.0 - Are we affected?

Just to confirm:

Versions < 8.0 use the OS timezone functions.
Versions > 8.0 use PostgreSQL timezone functions.

If that is so, then the PostgreSQL timezone functions and/or
Files would need to be updated?

The reason I ask, is that I know that Java does it own stuff
for timezones. Java JVM's need to have timezone files updated
by means of a run-time patch - I have already applied this one.
Therefore, I assume that PostgreSQL would need to have some
similar changes done. Is this correct? I know that there is a
timezone directory in PostgreSQL. There is a (text) file:

src/timezone/data/northamerica

This appears to contain a set of rules when DST starts and
ends. Also, in the deployed version, there are a set of
(binary) files in:

share/timezone/America

Apologies for the follwing questions. You will be flooded with
these, so I may as well ask them now.

1) What is the process to get from source to binary?

2) What files need to be changed?

3) Do we need to rebuild and update all files (including
executables and binaries?

4) Would we need to shutdown server, install new timezone
files and restart server?

Note, even Sun could not answer all the questions with their
java FAQ, which seemed to be pretty good. We are still
waiting a response on that one.

Match