Re: Joint user survey with EnterpriseDB?

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
To: Rob Napier <rob(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Joint user survey with EnterpriseDB?
Date: 2009-06-30 13:43:22
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Rob Napier wrote:

> In the specific case of Enterprise DB, I understand that they provide
> invaluable support and contribute to the success of PostgreSQL. I strongly
> doubt that their management would EXPECT your support, but a QUID PRO QUO is
> certainly in order.

I think the real issue is that the survey as presented is directly aimed
at their value added product not postgresql.

There is a difference between us hosting their survey and us helping
generating traffic to fill out their survey on their site.

I do agree that we should all fill out this survey and get anyone we
know that has an interest in postgresql to their site to also fill out
the survey. Promoting it on our site is fine to me and I would expect it
to be a free ad for them in return for them sharing the results.

If the survey is hosted on our site then it should list all commercial
versions asking which you have heard of and which you may choose over
the plain wrap postgresql and why. As well as which companies would you
turn to for postgresql support. This would then benefit the postgresql
community as a whole instead of promoting one variation.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz