Re: Checking out South First Billiards

From: Dirk Jagdmann <doj(at)cubic(dot)org>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Checking out South First Billiards
Date: 2009-06-15 21:52:12
Lists: sfpug

Hello Josh,

> Since nobody actually living in San Jose has volunteered, if one of you
> could drop by this place this week and check it out and see how it looks
> for holding a party, that would be great.

I took a look on the weekend already, but didn't find the time to write
a reply (until now). The place is basically one large hall, which has
been subdivided by a couple of 8' drywalls. At the entrance they have
the bar and live music area. Behind that is the large main room with the
majority of pool tables, 2x table tennis, 1x shuffle puck and a couple
of vintage arcade computer games.
In the back they have a separated "room" with 4 pool tables, darts board
and some tables and chairs. They also have a second area with 4 tables
on "2nd floor" above the restrooms, but those tables were all
shrink-wrapped, so I conclude that area is seldomly used. The separated
area is smaller than the venue we had last year, so if we expect as many
guests it would be rather crowded.
Apart from that the whole hall is "entertained" by a single PA system
and even though when I was there only a couple of pool tables had people
playing I found the place rather loud. For some nice discussions after a
successfull pgday this is probably not the best place.
I also found the place to be a little bit "smelly", which probably
results from the small kitched they have behind the bar. But maybe I'm
just a bit sensitive on that point.

I think we should have a plan, what we'd like people to do on that
evening. If we want them to do some entertaining "sports", First Street
Billiard is probably a good choice. If we'd rather have people doing
conversation, I would recommend looking at other places (although I have
no idea what's going on elsewhere in downtown San Jose :(

--
---> Dirk Jagdmann
----> http://cubic.org/~doj