Re: sun blade 1000 donation

From: Andy Colson <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net>
To: "Jignesh K(dot) Shah" <J(dot)K(dot)Shah(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: sun blade 1000 donation
Date: 2009-05-28 16:32:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jignesh K. Shah wrote:

> On 05/27/09 22:00, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> Andy,
>>
>>> I have a Sun blade 1000 that's just collecting dust now days. I was
>>> wondering if there were any pg-hackers that could find use for it.
>>>
>>> Its dual UltraSPARC III 750 (I think) and has two 36? gig fiber channel
>>> scsi disks.
>>>
>>> It weighs a ton.
>>>
>>> I'd be happy to donate it to a good cause.
>>
>> Feh, as much as we need more servers, we're really limited in our
>> ability to accept stuff which is large & high power consumption.
>>
>> Now, if we had a DSL line we could hook it to, I could see using it
>> for the buildfarm; it would be interesting old HW / old Solaris for us.
>>

> Actually I think you can use cutting edge OpenSolaris 2009.06 release
> (which will happen in less than a week) for SPARC on that hardware. I
> haven't tried it out on Sun Blade 1000/2000 yet but in theory you can.
> Refer to the following thread
>
> http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/indiana-discuss/2009-February/014134.html
>

> Though you will need an Automated Installer setup to install OpenSolaris
> on SPARC
> http://dlc.sun.com/osol/docs/content/dev/AIinstall/index.html
>

> Regards,
> Jignesh

Well that could be fun to play with. I have snv_99 on there now, so I'm
not too outdated. The two drives are in a zfs mirror and as long as you
use both processors its a pretty snappy box. (gmake vs gmake -j 4 is
noticeably faster)

But still.. I'm buying a new computer and need to clear out some of the
old one's first. (I took a count, and I have about 11 computers,
counting anything I can ssh to or run apache on as a computer (so my
gf's iTouch counts as a computer))

-Andy