COPY support: plan and progress

From: Thomas Finneid <tfinneid(at)fcon(dot)no>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: msakrejda(at)truviso(dot)com, mark_addleman(at)bigfoot(dot)com, Kalle Hallivuori <kato(at)iki(dot)fi>
Subject: COPY support: plan and progress
Date: 2009-05-11 07:08:06
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi

I am working for a client that have been using the JDBC COPY patch in
2-3 of their products. This has only been during development over the
last couple of years, while waiting for the patch to become final. Since
the functionality is only a patch, is there a plan, procedure or
requirements list for how to get the patch into mainline releases?

My client would prefer to have this as a permanent functionality in the
jdbc driver, otherwise it will have difficulties defending the
technology choice to the QA department. The COPY operation is what makes
parts of the solution work fast enough.

I am willing to help achieve this, but then I would need to know

- what needs to be done
- how to proceed
- what are the requirements for an inclusion of a patch
- are there any issues that needs to be resolved.

With this information I could start by making a plan to monitor tasks
and progress.

URL to COPY patch page:

http://kato.iki.fi/sw/db/postgresql/jdbc/copy/

regards