Re: 8.4 open items list

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: 8.4 open items list
Date: 2009-04-02 18:32:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> writes:
>>> pgAdmin uses the SQL commands, not the external commands. IIRC the only
>>> external commands that are used are pg_dump[all], pg_restore, pg_ctl and
>>> initdb. Is initdb on the list of tools that might be changed?
>> Hm, that's a good point. initdb has these switches (and has had 'em for
>> a good long time):
>>
>> --locale=LOCALE set default locale for new databases
>> --lc-collate=, --lc-ctype=, --lc-messages=LOCALE
>> --lc-monetary=, --lc-numeric=, --lc-time=LOCALE
>> set default locale in the respective category for
>> new databases (default taken from environment)
>> --no-locale equivalent to --locale=C
>>
>> So createdb is consistent with longstanding history in initdb, and
>> that seems to mean that we should leave it alone and change
>> CREATE DATABASE to match (modulo underscore instead of dash).
>
> Agreed, I see them back to Postgres 8.0:
>
> 8.0/pgsql/src/bin/initdb/initdb.c:
> printf(_(" --lc-collate, --lc-ctype, --lc-messages=LOCALE\n"

Ok, it looks like we have a consensus on changing the CREATE DATABASE
options to LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE.

Now, what about the idea of providing a shorthand LOCALE='foo',
mirroring --locale=foo initdb option? It seems like a good idea, because
you almost never want to set LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE differently. If we
do that, should LOCALE=foo also imply a per-database lc_messages,
lc_monetary, lc_numeric and lc_time settings? It seems like it should
for the sake of consistency.

--
Heikki Linnakangas