Re: Postgres on filer via NFS

From: Brian Ghidinelli <brian(at)pukkasoft(dot)com>
To: SF Postgres <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres on filer via NFS
Date: 2009-03-25 15:13:39
Lists: sfpug

David Fetter wrote:
> DON'T! Just get a flock of small-radius SAS drives and arrange them
> as a RAID-10 :)

Thanks for the feedback. Jeff Frost once painfully proved to me how
fast the new drives and DAS can be. There are obviously some advantages
to a filer (NetApp in this case) like the cloning, management and
sharing it among boxes.

> Absolutely. Nothing about network-attached storage has changed in
> general, and the article leaves out the fact that most people's

So basically you need a sane NFS config and it's OK then? We can do FCP
on this NetApp so speed I don't think will be an issue. Plus our
database will fit into RAM so management/availability "features" is as
important as speed. I know Hi5 is all NetApp so apparently it *does*
work. I just wondered if they had magic genies. :)

> http://archives.postgresql.org/sfpug/2008-06/msg00007.php

Adi, I saw this thread previously; the diverging opinions out there are
what prompted my question. Thanks for the input!

Brian