Re: BUG #4723: I deleted the pg_xlog paste whwn i wanted to delet the pg_log paste

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Valter Cabecinha <vcabecinha(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4723: I deleted the pg_xlog paste whwn i wanted to delet the pg_log paste
Date: 2009-03-22 20:00:55
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Valter Cabecinha wrote:
> i wanted to delet the pg-log paste because it is gowing every day, but i mis
> shift deleted the pq_xlog.

Oops :-(.

> I have all my data in that database.
> What can i do to fix or recouver it.

You can recreate pg_xlog with "mkdir pg_xlog", and then run pg_resetxlog
to reset the transaction log. After that, the database should start up
again.

However, if the database was running while you deleted pg_xlog, you may
have lost some of the most changes that weren't flushed to the data
files yet. Changes since last checkpoint are at risk. The database might
also not be self-consistent, because of corrupted indexes etc.
REINDEXing the database is a good idea.

--
Heikki Linnakangas