Re: [NOVICE] LATIN2->UTF8 conversation with dblink

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Ruzsinszky Attila <ruzsinszky(dot)attila(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] LATIN2->UTF8 conversation with dblink
Date: 2009-02-03 02:31:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-novice

Tom Lane wrote:
> Ruzsinszky Attila <ruzsinszky(dot)attila(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> The DB is the same except the character coding. Source is LATIN2 and
>> the target DB is UTF8.
>> We wrote a trigger to copy the data from source to target with dblink.
>> The problem is the
>> different DB character coding! PGSQL complains about wrong byte order.
>
> Hmm. You can presumably fix this by setting client_encoding in the
> dblink connection to match the encoding in use in the database it's
> called in. But I wonder why dblink doesn't just do that for you
> automatically.

Mainly because I never thought about it myself before, and this is the
first time I've seen someone complain ;-)

But if you think automatically setting client encoding is appropriate, I
will make the change. Would it be classified as a bug (and therefore
something to backpatch) or a new feature?

Joe