Re: Pet Peeves?

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
To: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pet Peeves?
Date: 2009-01-31 14:52:03
Lists: pgsql-general

Gregory Stark wrote:

>> MS-Access SQL has a TRANSFORM clause that allows for crosstab queries without
>> the need to know in advance the number of columns:
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb208956.aspx
>
> That's puzzling. I wonder what they do about clients requesting info about the
> results. Or for that matter such queries being used in subqueries or anywhere
> else where the surrounding code needs to know the type of results to expect.

Well as subqueries you would expect an error.

Not sure with access but I know that with RealBasic you can handle the
variations. This allows you to build an "access style" front end that
isn't fixed to one db structure.

dim rs as recordset

rs = db.sqlquery("select...")

for x = 1 to rs.fieldcount
if vartype(rs.idxfield(x).value) = kTypeDate then
next

you could also use rs.idxfield(x).stringvalue and parse it yourself

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz

Get Sheeky @ http://Sheeky.Biz