Re: SSD performance

From: "M(dot) Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb(at)cesmail(dot)net>
To: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SSD performance
Date: 2009-01-24 03:24:36
Lists: pgsql-performance

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> This community is notorious for "optimum". MySQL is notorious for "satisfy".

Within *this* community, MySQL is just plain notorious. Let's face it --
we are *not* dolphin-safe.

<ducking>

> Which one would you rather store your financial information in?

The one that had the best data integrity, taking into account the RDBMS
*and* the hardware and other software.

> I actually agree with you to a degree. A loud faction of this community
> spends a little too much time mentally masturbating but without that we
> wouldn't have a lot of the very interesting features we have now.

Yes -- you will never hear *me* say "Premature optimization is the root
of all evil." I don't know why Hoare or Dijkstra or Knuth or Wirth or
whoever coined that phrase, but it's been used too many times as an
excuse for not doing any performance engineering, forcing the deployed
"solution" to throw hardware at performance issues.

> There is no correct in left.
> There is no correct in right.
> Correctness is the result of friction caused by the mingling of the two.

"The only good I/O is a dead I/O" -- Mark Friedman

--
M. Edward (Ed) Borasky