Re: New patch for Column-level privileges

From: KaiGai Kohei <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net
Cc: Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>, Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New patch for Column-level privileges
Date: 2009-01-13 03:54:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I can find a matter on JOIN.

Please make sure the following function invocation chain:

transformSelectStmt()
-> transformFromClause()
-> transformFromClauseItem()
-> expandRTE(), if JoinExpr
-> expandRelation(), if rte->rtekind == RTE_RELATION
-> expandTupleDesc()

expandTupleDesc() set rte->cols_sel for all the user columns.
It seems to me unexpected behavior.

Maybe, the point to mark rte->cols_sel has to be moved.
However, I wonder whether it is actually proper manner to put
a code depending its invocation context on existing parser.

I can understand Tom's concern, but does it make maintenance
difficulty in the future version?
For example, when a new future invokes expandRTE(), it also
polutes rte->cols_sel implicitly.
I reconsidered the previous walker implementation independent
from other parser codes is more simple and better.

Stephen, Tom, what is your opinion?

Thanks,

--
OSS Platform Development Division, NEC