Re: Significantly larger toast tables on 8.4?

From: Andrew Chernow <ac(at)esilo(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Stephen R(dot) van den Berg" <srb(at)cuci(dot)nl>, Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Significantly larger toast tables on 8.4?
Date: 2009-01-03 05:17:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Haas wrote:

> Compression is
> generally bad for performance, though there are certainly exceptions.
> What it is good for is saving disk space, and that is why people use
> it.

I don't think disk space is still the primary reason for using compression;
shoot.. I can buy a terabyte drive for $150 on newegg and 1.5TB drives are out.
I think the primary reason has been slowly moving towards performance. Fast
downloads, compressed web sites or simply reading/writing less to/from disk are
very common use cases for compression; all increase performance. Basically,
compression comonly offers faster data delivery. As long as you utilize a fast
compressor, like lzo or zlib "NOT level 9", its a performance win.

--
Andrew Chernow
eSilo, LLC