Re: Proposal: syntax highlight in html manual

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Daniele Varrazzo <daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: syntax highlight in html manual
Date: 2011-04-13 15:02:02
Lists: pgsql-docs

Daniele Varrazzo <daniele(dot)varrazzo(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> when I wrote the docs for the GMP extension
> (http://pgmp.projects.postgresql.org/) I started improving the syntax
> highlight produced by pygments
> (https://bitbucket.org/dvarrazzo/pygments-postgres) for the PostgreSQL
> SQL dialect. I've also added specific lexers for PL/pgSQL and
> interactive psql sessions. The lexer handles all the PG constructs,
> has a list of keywords and datatypes parsed from the docs, and can
> also dispatch the content of a $$ string to a different lexer based on
> a related LANGUAGE keyword nearby (e.g. highlighting a PL/Python
> function using the Python lexer). Here you can see the result on the
> "regression document" I am using to develop the lexer:

> - http://pgmp.projects.postgresql.org/highlight/psql.html
> - http://pgmp.projects.postgresql.org/highlight/postgres.html

> Is there any interest in applying highlighted syntax to the html
> rendering of the manual?

FWIW, there are very few things in the world that I hate more than
randomly multicolored text. Almost always, some of it is unreadable
in a particular viewing context because of poor contrast. And as
often as not, the stuff that does stand out isn't the most important
parts of the text.

So no, this isn't a direction I want to see the Postgres documentation
take.