Re: [Fwd: Re: [ANNOUNCE] spreading the word on new PostgreSQL software appliance]

From: Liraz Siri <liraz(at)turnkeylinux(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>, turnkey-discuss(at)lists(dot)turnkeylinux(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [ANNOUNCE] spreading the word on new PostgreSQL software appliance]
Date: 2008-12-09 23:12:35
Lists: pgsql-www

Hi Tom!

> Well, I'm still desperately unhappy with the concept that all it takes
> to get listed on that page is a request from someone who's not even
> known in the community. At the *minimum* we should have some kind of
> commitment to push updates promptly (especially security ones) ...
> which probably means someone from that group joining pgsql-packagers.

TurnKey appliances are Ubuntu under the hood. We don't package postgres
ourselves. BTW, the appliances are configured to auto-install security
patches from the Ubuntu security repository daily.

> But what might be more to the point is that AFAICT Turnkey is a Linux
> distro. We don't have links here to where you get Postgres packages for
> Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Slackware, etc etc. Why should there be
> one for Turnkey?

I think there is a difference between a software package and a software
appliance. Users of distro X don't necessarily need to be given a link
to pgsql because their package manager takes care of that for them.

Cheers,
Liraz