Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Explicitly bind gettext() to the UTF8 locale when in use.

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Hiroshi Inoue <inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Hiroshi Saito <z-saito(at)guitar(dot)ocn(dot)ne(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Explicitly bind gettext() to the UTF8 locale when in use.
Date: 2008-12-03 10:05:21
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Hiroshi Inoue wrote:
>> I think the thing us that as long as the encodings are compatible
>> (latin1 with different names for example) it worked fine.
>>
>>> In any case I think the problem is that gettext is
>>> looking at a setting that is not what we are looking at. Particularly
>>> with the 8.4 changes to allow per-database locale settings, this has
>>> got to be fixed in a bulletproof way.
>
> Attached is a new patch to apply bind_textdomain_codeset() to most
> server encodings. Exceptions are PG_SQL_ASCII, PG_MULE_INTERNAL
> and PG_EUC_JIS_2004. "EUC-JP" may be OK for EUC_JIS_2004.
>
> Unfortunately it's hard for Saito-san and me to check encodings
> other than EUC-JP.

In principle this looks good, I think, but I'm a bit worried around the
lack of testing. I can do some testing under LATIN1 which is what we use
in Sweden (just need to get gettext working *at all* in my dev
environment again - I've somehow managed to break it), and perhaps we
can find someone to do a test in an eastern-european locale to get some
more datapoints?

Can you outline the steps one needs to go through to show the problem,
so we can confirm it's fixed in these locales?

//Magnus