Re: Problems updating to 8.3.5

From: Bob McConnell <rmcconne(at)lightlink(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems updating to 8.3.5
Date: 2008-11-28 20:41:21
Lists: pgsql-novice

Tom Lane wrote:
> Bob McConnell <rmcconne(at)lightlink(dot)com> writes:
>> I have a Slackware 10.2.0 machine which has been happily serving files,
>> Apache, Pg, etc. across my home network for some time. I had no problem
>> installing pg 8.2.1 on it. But now when I try to install 8.3.5,
>> configure dies complaining that gcc can't build an executable. Looking
>> at the log, it says crt1.o does not exist. I looked, and sure enough, it
>> doesn't exist.
>
> Well, you changed something else on that machine since installing 8.2.1
> ... assuming you built 8.2.1 from source there; are you sure you didn't
> install a prepackaged build? This error says you've got a fundamentally
> broken or incomplete C compilation environment, and that's not exactly
> postgres' fault.
>
> I don't know how Slackware divvies up this stuff, but you might need to
> install packages labeled "C development tools" or some such if you want
> to build PG from source.
>
> regards, tom lane

Hi Tom,

I installed 8.2.1 from source,using gcc 3.2.2. I still have the
config.log for that, dated Feb 3, 2007. I installed PHP 4.4.0 from
source earlier this year, along with Apache 1.3.33. The prepackaged kits
for those did not have any of the options I wanted, since the
maintainers are hung up on MySQL. That box now has gcc 3.3.6 and GNU
make 3.80. I didn't see anything about a minimum version of GCC, etc. in
the documents. But was there a library change that requires a newer
compiler?

I don't like the idea of upgrading that box to a newer version of
Slackware, but that's probably the cleanest way to get everything back
in sync. It's only a 450 MHz P-II, and rebuilding everything will take
all weekend. I also have to remove two of the disk drives and put an
optical drive back in. But if I have to, that's probably the next step.

Thanks,

Bob McConnell
N2SPP