PostgreSQL Update Versions 8.3.5, 8.2.11, etc. Released

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PostgreSQL Update Versions 8.3.5, 8.2.11, etc. Released
Date: 2008-11-04 16:39:36
Lists: pgsql-announce

The PostgreSQL Project today released minor versions updating all active
branches of the PostgreSQL object-relational database system, including
versions 8.3.5, 8.2.11, 8.1.15, 8.0.19 and 7.4.23. These updates are
critical for users of GiST indexes and databases in some non-English
languages and should be applied as soon as possible.

These releases, which fix issues that were reported less than two weeks
ago, demonstrate the PostgreSQL Project's dedication to rapid deployment
of all patches for any serious database issues.

GiST indexes are used for full text search, the LTree, Intarray and
Earthdistance modules, and the very popular PostGIS geographic extension
to PostgreSQL. In the last set of update releases we inadvertently
introduced a bug which could cause some index entries to become lost. If
you are running 8.3.4, 8.2.10 or 8.1.14 we recommend that you run
REINDEX on all of your GiST indexes after upgrading.

There are 23 other minor fixes contained in these update releases,
including time zone updates for Argentina, Brazil, Mauritius and Syria.
See the release notes for full details.

As with other minor releases, users are not required to dump and reload
their database in order to apply this update release; you may simply
shut down PostgreSQL and update its binaries. Users skipping more than
one update may need to check the release notes for extra, post-update
steps. As previously announced, only versions 8.2.11 and 8.3.5 of the
Windows binaries are being released, as we no longer support 8.0 and 8.1
on Windows.

-- Release Notes:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/release.html

-- Installation Packages: