This is really first patch which is not clean up, but it add in-place upgrade
functionality. The patch requires other clean up patches which I already send.
You can find aslo GIT repository with "workable" version.
Main point is that tuples are converted to latest version in SeqScan and
IndexScan node. All storage/access module is able process database 8.1-8.4.
(Page Layout 3 and 4).
- select - heap scan is ok, but index scan does not work on varlena datatypes. I
need to convert index key somewhere in index access.
What does not work:
- tuple conversion which contains arrays, composite datatypes and toast
- vacuum - it tries to cleanup old pages - probably better could be converted
them to the new format during processing...
The Patch contains lot of extra comments and rubbish, but it is in process of
What I need to know/solve:
1) yes/no for this kind of online upgrade method
2) I'm not sure if the calling ExecStoreTuple correct.
3) I'm still looking best place to store old data structures and conversion
functions. My idea is to create new directories:
(odf = On Disk Format)
Thanks for your comments
Zdenek Kotala Sun Microsystems
Prague, Czech Republic http://sun.com/postgresql
pgsql-hackers by date
|Next:||From: Simon Riggs||Date: 2008-10-31 21:48:05|
|Subject: Re: Please make sure your patches are on the wiki page|
|Previous:||From: Bruce Momjian||Date: 2008-10-31 21:34:56|
|Subject: Re: Please make sure your patches are on the wiki