Re: [HACKERS] Hot Standby utility and administrator functions

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Hot Standby utility and administrator functions
Date: 2008-10-24 08:33:58
Lists: pgadmin-hackers pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs a écrit :
> On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 09:54 +0200, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>>[...]
>> Is there a way to get the IP of the salve (if we are connected to the
>> master? and vice-versa?
>
> No. They are separately configurable and don't pass that info.

I definitely need to read your mails on pgsql-hackers.

> [...]
>>>>
>> No interest from pgAdmin's pov.
>
> I would ask: why not? Why is PITR not part of pgAdmin's capability?

Strictly speaking, pgAdmin is already able to configure PITR. Go on the
configure tool, put your archive command, reload (pre8.3) or restart
(8.3) the server. That's all it needs.

But LogShipping is a different matter. For LogShipping to be part of
pgAdmin's capabilities, we would need to be able to copy all PGDATA
files from the master server to a slave server within pgAdmin. I'm not
sure how we can handle this. Moreover, we would also need to launch the
slave server.

I mean, I would love to build a "PITR/LogShipping wizard": ask the slave
IP, configure postgresql.conf on the master, recovery.conf on the slave,
reload conf on the master, start the slave... but how do we copy files
from one server to the other? how do we start the slave server?

> [...]
>> Oh, I almost forgot. I see you mailed a few projects (pgAdmin, pgpool,
>> pgbouncer). Perhaps you should ask phpPgAdmin's guys too?
>
> Not on that list, if you are could you pass it on.

Done.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.postgresqlfr.org