COUNT(DISTINCT field) OVER (PARTITION BY another_field)

From: Daniel Cristian Cruz <danielcristian(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: COUNT(DISTINCT field) OVER (PARTITION BY another_field)
Date: 2009-07-21 11:59:58
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi list,

Does someone knows why this is not a supported feature?

I was happily SQL querying when I woke up from my dreams with this message:

ERROR: DISTINCT is not implemented for window functions
LINE 6: COUNT(DISTINCT handle) OVER (PARTITION BY pk_pessoas) AS ha...

It could be very useful to find unique references within groups of clone
records. Or there is another way to write this kind of query?

Example (reference is a column of record_data):

SELECT
group_key,
record_data.*,
COUNT(DISTINCT reference) OVER (PARTITION BY group_key) AS unique_references
FROM record_data
ORDER BY
group_key;

Regards,