PostgreSQL.fr news

From: Jean-Paul Argudo <jean-paul(at)postgresqlfr(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL.fr news
Date: 2008-10-15 09:11:07
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Dear community members,

It has been a long road to set up the version 3 of PostgreSQL.fr (or
PostgreSQLFr.org, it's the same now).

Version 1 was installed on my onw BSD box at home, with few pages on it,
some of you may remember this :) see http://archives.postgresql.fr/v1/
if you don't remember the ancient times.

Version 2 lived from 2005 to 2008, it was a Drupal system I installed
first on a tiny box with a Geode processor (Thanks to Nicolas
Niclausse). We migrated it late 2005 on a Dalibo's server where it still
was last month: http://archives.postgresql.fr/v2/

1/ Why did we abandon Drupal?

Even if Drupal is a powerfull and well designed CMS, we were too few to
understand how it works. Also, the website was on a very old 4 version,
with too much problems. One of the hardest problems was the bad quality
of the forum. It wasn't attractive, no options, and some of our best
participating members on the forum told us something like "please
install a true forum software or we won't post anymore" :)

Many of us tried the upgrades to the newest version, but we had a lot of
problems in upgrading, and no time to deal with.

So we finaly decided to break down Drupal into pieces and replace each
piece of software with a another small software as a reimplacement, just
designed for an usage. (Small is beautyfull?).

2/ How is structured the new website:

[Item] == an Item on the grey major links bar on the top of PostgreSQL.fr

* a wiki (dokuwiki) that handles:

- the portal page [Accueil]
(the page you arrive directly onto when going to
http://www.PostgreSQL.fr/)
This "portal" have links to most of the things :)
It still lacks RSS feeds from planet and the blog, to
be added soon

- the non-profit page [Association]
http://wiki.postgresql.fr/asso:accueil

- the support page [Support]
http://wiki.postgresql.fr/support:start

* the documentation: tranlation projects of all PG docs into french
[Documentation]
http://docs.postgresql.fr/

* a blog (DotClear 2) that handles all "news", for example
PGWN translation to french, and other more or less "official"
announces [Actualité]
http://blog.postgresql.fr/

On DotClear 2 we migrated 400+ articles from the former Drupal.
Some 600+ other Drupal nodes are from the forums: we did not
migrate it.

The Professional UseCases into the V2 under Drupal have been
wiki-fied (not all yet, its manual) onto the Wiki, and linked
from the start page. Here they are:
http://www.postgresql.fr/temoignages:accueil

The Cookbook (well, sort of start of cookbook..) is there,
linked from the start-portal page:
http://www.postgresql.fr/cookbook:accueil

* a new forum (fluxbb) [Forums]
http://forums.postgresql.fr/

We did not migrate any post from ancient Drupal's forums to
FluxBB. It's a choice.

* our Trac/SVN where we have all materials, including logos,
translation sources (included Slony-I translation project from
Damien Clochard) there [Developpeurs]:

http://trac.postgresql.fr/

The latest add is pgDay France 4 octobre 2008 slides. Videos
are about to be online too (check http://www.PgDay.fr/ in a few)

* our Planet RSS aggregator here [Planète]

http://planete.postgresql.fr/

We still have our root softwares like a webmail, a "galette" (tool to
manage memberships in the non-profit (who paid, when, who became member,
when etc...), statistics (awstats), mailing-lists, ohloh.
All of these tools are linked from the portal page too.

So, as you see the PostgreSQL.fr version 3 is an aggregation of small
tools we plan to manage better than a big one.

Most of us think too this will give us more flexibility and allow the
right tool for the right usage.

Cheers !

NB: We'll be 3 members of PostgreSQLFr non-profit in Prato, feel free to
give your feedback on this version 3 to us: Jean-Christophe Arnu,
Damien Clochard and I.

--
Jean-Paul Argudo
www.PostgreSQLFr.org