Re: What process clears the logs?

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: Carol Walter <walterc(at)indiana(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What process clears the logs?
Date: 2008-09-30 19:26:42
Lists: pgsql-admin

Carol Walter wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> As you may be aware, we experienced a problem last week with pg_clogs
> that had been deleted, through human error it appears. What process
> will clear or delete the pg_clogs? I've been all over the
> documentation and I'm not finding a reference to this.

PostgreSQL takes care of this itself. I don't know where it is
documented but IIRC from old messages, the number of files in pg_xlog
should level out at about two-times your checkpoint_settings value.

I'd have to do some digging as I don't recall for sure, but I think that
if you are using archive_command setting to archive WAL files the
archive command does not return "success", then the WAL file will not be
removed/reused.

Cheers,
Steve