Re: Table Alias posing problem in Update statements

From: Ingmar Lötzsch <iloetzsch(at)asci-systemhaus(dot)de>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Table Alias posing problem in Update statements
Date: 2008-09-02 15:26:03
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Read the SQL-Reference for your version. For PostgreSQL 8.1.3 this is

Synopsis
UPDATE [ ONLY ] table SET column = { expression | DEFAULT } [, ...]
[ FROM fromlist ]
[ WHERE condition ]

Description
UPDATE changes the values of the specified columns in all rows that
satisfy the condition. Only the columns to be modified need be mentioned
in the SET clause; columns not explicitly modified retain their previous
values.

By default, UPDATE will update rows in the specified table and all its
subtables. If you wish to only update the specific table mentioned, you
must use the ONLY clause.

There are two ways to modify a table using information contained in
other tables in the database: using sub-selects, or specifying
additional tables in the FROM clause. Which technique is more
appropriate depends on the specific circumstances.

You must have the UPDATE privilege on the table to update it, as well as
the SELECT privilege to any table whose values are read in the
expressions or condition.

Parameters
table
The name (optionally schema-qualified) of the table to update.

That means there is no alias allowed in UPDATE.

Ingmar