Re: How to setup disk spindles for best performance

From: Christiaan Willemsen <cwillemsen(at)technocon(dot)com>
To: Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to setup disk spindles for best performance
Date: 2008-08-21 15:06:13
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi Scott,

Great info! Our RAID card is at the moment a ICP vortex (Adaptec)
ICP5165BR, and I'll be using it with Ubuntu server 8.04. I tried
OpenSolaris, but it yielded even more terrible performance, specially
using ZFS.. I guess that was just a missmatch. Anyway, I'm going to
return the controller, because it does not scale very well with more
that 4 disks in raid 10. Bandwidth is limited to 350MB/sec, and IOPS
scale badly with extra disks...

So I guess, I'll be waiting for another controller first. The idea for
xlog + os on 4 disk raid 10 and the rest for the data sound good :) I
hope it will turn out that way too.. First another controller..

Regards,

Christiaan