Re: display query results

From: PJ <af(dot)gourmet(at)videotron(dot)ca>
To: Andy Shellam <andy(dot)shellam-lists(at)mailnetwork(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org, Lynna Landstreet <lynna(at)spidersilk(dot)net>, Matthias Ritzkowski <matthiar(at)gmail(dot)com>, rod(at)iol(dot)ie, tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz
Subject: Re: display query results
Date: 2008-07-30 21:46:23
Lists: pgsql-php

I want to thank everyone for their contribution. As usual, the solution
turns out to be simple. Remeber the KISS principle.
see the note within the text: the LIKE condition did it. But I will have
more questions as I grope further in the dark. :))

Andy Shellam wrote:
> Just shooting in the dark here, but I'm thinking there might be some
> extra spaces around the column values. For some reason PostgreSQL is
> not returning any rows for that query, which is where the root of your
> problem lies.
>
> Do you have PgAdmin? If so try the exact same query against the same
> database and server.
> Also try changing your query as follows:
>
> SELECT description FROM glossary_item WHERE name LIKE '%Alcohol%'
Great aim for shooting in the dark. :)) That was it.
Now, could someone explain why I need the LIKE statement?
I will try to check the documentation...