Re: pg_dump additional options for performance

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump additional options for performance
Date: 2008-07-27 16:57:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-07-26 at 11:03 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> 2. We have no concurrency which means, anyone with any database over 50G
>> has unacceptable restore times.
>
> Agreed.

> Sounds good.
>
> Doesn't help with the main element of dump time: one table at a time to
> one output file. We need a way to dump multiple tables concurrently,
> ending in multiple files/filesystems.

Agreed but that is a problem I understand with a solution I don't. I am
all eyes on a way to fix that. One thought I had and please, be gentle
in response was some sort of async transaction capability. I know that
libpq has the ability to send async queries. Is it possible to do this:

send async(copy table to foo)
send async(copy table to bar)
send async(copy table to baz)

Where all three copies are happening in the background?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake