Re: idea: global temp tables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Pavel Stehule" <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, "PostgreSQL Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: idea: global temp tables
Date: 2009-04-28 16:12:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> ... Both forms of CREATE TEMP
> TABLE should persist the definition if you go by the standard, so you
> don't want to muddy the waters by complying on one and not the other?

Right. This goes back to our old principle of trying not to use
spec-defined syntax for not-per-spec behavior. We are already behind
the eight ball as far as temp tables go, but let's not make it worse by
blindly picking some spec-defined syntax without a plan for where we go
from here. (I'm assuming that it's reasonably likely that we will want
a spec-compatible module feature someday. We'll really have painted
ourselves into a corner if we don't think about the issue now.)