Re: Special role for subscriptions

From: Evgeniy Efimkin <efimkin(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
To: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Дмитрий Сарафанников <dsarafan(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Андрей Бородин <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>, Владимир Бородин <root(at)simply(dot)name>
Date: 2019-03-12 13:48:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi!
>  * What are the most important use cases here? Are we just trying to
> avoid the unnecessary use of superuser, or is there a real use case for
> subscribing to a subset of a publication?

For instance in target database we do not have permission on some table used in publication,
but we still CREATE SUBSCRIPTION for owned tables.

>  * What are all the reasons CREATE SUBSCRIPTION currently requires
> superuser?
I'm not sure, but it seems like only superuser have rights on all tables. I can't find any restrictions.

>  * Is the original idea of a special role still viable?
yes, i wrote simple patch. Role create externally, but it can be system role.
--------
Efimkin Evgeny

Attachment Content-Type Size
subsciption_role.patch text/x-diff 3.4 KB