Character set conversion

From: Bastiaan Olij <lists(at)basenlily(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Character set conversion
Date: 2008-07-21 06:48:22
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi All,

I have a client application that uses an 8 bit character set that is not
supported by Postgresql. I'm using UTF-8 to store data within my
database and would like to create a character set conversion converting
between my native set and Postgresql. I have all the information I need
as far as which 8bit value should be mapped to what UTF-8 'character'.

I read in the documentation about the 'Create conversion' command
writing a function to do the conversion job. Is this the best way
forward or are there better ways to attempt this? Is there any sample
code available for implementing such a conversion? I don't want to
reinvent the wheel here...

--
Kindest Regards,

Bastiaan Olij
e-mail/MSN: bastiaan(at)basenlily(dot)nl
web: http://www.basenlily.nl
Skype: Mux213
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bastiaanolij