Re: Timestamp without Timezone and differing client / server tzs

From: Ken Johanson <pg-user(at)kensystem(dot)com>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Timestamp without Timezone and differing client / server tzs
Date: 2008-07-09 05:25:52
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Oliver Jowett wrote:
>>> Ken Johanson wrote:
>> This is useful where plural databases (not under my control) may exist
>> each in different timezones, and the app must deal with each
>> concurrently; where storing server configs (separate from the URL) and
>> passing Calendar objects for each, could be avoided.
>
> But if you are using timestamp-without-timezone in each database, I
> don't understand why the server timezone comes into the equation at all?

The servers and their schema (use-of ts w/o tz are not under my control;
adding with-timezone would likely break apps that transmit date values
with offset already normalized).

> Can you give me some concrete examples of schema + app code and how you
> would want it to behave?

Just to pass-in a timestamp, and which ever database it is sent to, be
stored with its real atomic (integer) value (ie string conversion
normalized to what db uses).

Simplified:

Timestamp NOW = new Timestamp(System.currentTimeMillis());
for (int i=0; i<SERVERS.length; i++)
{
Connection con = ....//SERVERS[i] etc; each server exists in different
timezone, and datetime/timestamps cols do not store zone.
PreparedStatement ps = con.prepareStatement("INSERT INTO tbl
(lastModified) VALUES (?)");
ps.setTimestamp(1, NOW));
ps.executeUpdate();
}