Re: Timestamp without Timezone and differing client / server tzs

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Ken Johanson <pg-user(at)kensystem(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Timestamp without Timezone and differing client / server tzs
Date: 2008-07-09 04:52:23
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Ken Johanson wrote:
> Oliver Jowett wrote:
>> Ken Johanson wrote:
>>
>>> So, short of passing a calendar to setTimezone, there is no other way
>>> to indicate to the driver that zone-less date/time type values should
>>> be translated to the server's different timezone, is this correct?
>>
>> You could change the client JVM's default timezone I suppose.
>>
>> I still don't understand exactly what you are trying to do, though.
>>

> To be sure, is the intent of the server's
>
> timezone = UTC
>
> config parameter, not to provide a hint to the clients about which
> implicit timezone it treats zone-less strings as?

That's not the intent as I understand it.

It tells the server how to interpret zone-less string literals (which
the JDBC driver never actually generates), how to cast between
with-timezone and without-timezone values by default, and which timezone
the default representation of with-timezone strings should use (which
doesn't change the instant in time they represent anyway). So the only
thing it should visibly affect if you're using JDBC is the casting
behaviour.

See section 8.5.1.3 in
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/datatype-datetime.html

-O