Re: Timestamp without Timezone and differing client / server tzs

From: Ken Johanson <pg-user(at)kensystem(dot)com>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Timestamp without Timezone and differing client / server tzs
Date: 2008-07-09 04:31:08
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Oliver Jowett wrote:
> Ken Johanson wrote:
>
>> So, short of passing a calendar to setTimezone, there is no other way
>> to indicate to the driver that zone-less date/time type values should
>> be translated to the server's different timezone, is this correct?
>
> You could change the client JVM's default timezone I suppose.
>
> I still don't understand exactly what you are trying to do, though.

I could probably summarize it best by saying that I would like to place
all the server-specific info (including timezone) into the connection
URL, and leave the app to only pass what it and the jvm otherwise
considers to be a implicit/local timestamp.

To put it another way, Timestamp being a long integer, a point in time
that is the same anywhere, and we let the driver and database(s)
connectivity implicitly handle it's string nature in sql/iso8601.

This is useful where plural databases (not under my control) may exist
each in different timezones, and the app must deal with each
concurrently; where storing server configs (separate from the URL) and
passing Calendar objects for each, could be avoided.